IWA-Sport Introduction to Coaching Wheelchair Basketball (Theory)
Do you have a passion to help develop opportunities for people with a physical disability to reach their full potential through sport?
This ‘Introduction to Coaching Wheelchair Basketball course is part of the Coaching Development Programme for Ireland and was developed in partnership with Sport Ireland Coaching. It is designed to provide participants with information around basic coaching concepts and skills to support them to become competent and confident in organising and/or supporting a basic level wheelchair basketball session.
The course is designed to grow the wheelchair basketball family and support those who are interested in becoming involved in coaching wheelchair basketball with IWA-Sport. The course is also open to individuals who wish to learn more about the sport of wheelchair basketball.
- The course is suitable for those passionate about sport and who want to learn more about the sport of wheelchair basketball.
- It is suitable for beginner coaches aiming to work with juniors and beginner adults in wheelchair basketball.
- Please note attendees must be 16+ years of age prior to the course start date.
Attendees will complete 3 modules, both theory and practically based, which include general information about the sport, classification, roles of a coach, LTPAD model, communication, session planning and experience coaching basic activities.
- Due to COVID-19 all courses have now adapted to blending learning consisting of 2 parts. A theory component (online) and a practical component (will be scheduled when restrictions allow).
- It is mandatory to attend both theory and practical components of this course in order to achieve Sport Ireland Coaching Certification.
- The cost of the theory component of this course is €20 and the cost of the practical component is €20.
After completing an IWA-Sport Introduction to Coaching (Sport) Coaching course, participants will:
- Increase their knowledge of IWA-Sport and the work we do
- Increase their understanding of their chosen sports course (Wheelchair basketball)
- Understand the different coaching styles, rules of the sport and classification
- Be able to complete and deliver a session plan
- Gain coaching experience (practical component) and the skills to become competent in leading a session
- Receive an Introduction to Coaching (Sport) Certificate – Accredited by Sport Ireland coaching, Coaching Manual and material as well as ongoing support.