Do you want better support and services for people with disabilities? Do you have a story to tell or an experience to share? Do you want to influence your local politicians?
Become a volunteer campaigner with Irish Wheelchair Association and help to create a better Ireland for people with disabilities.
Work with us to highlight the main issues affecting you and other people with disabilities in your community. Issues such as a lack of personal assistant hours, an absence of accessible social housing, or a lack of wheelchair accessible transport.
What does it involve?
- You collaborate with Irish Wheelchair Association’s Advocacy Manager, Joan Carthy, on campaigns that highlight the issues impacting the lives of people with disabilities.
- Participate in training to learn about the issues we lobby and find out how you can play a part.
- Work with our Advocacy Manager to develop a list of contacts with politicians and influencers in your local area to lobby.
- Engage in campaigning activities including, sending letters to local politicians, sharing a personal story in the media or on our website, conveying a campaign issue at election times to electoral candidates or reaching out to local groups.
- Support our social media campaigns by liking, sharing and retweeting.